If you remember that song, sorry for the earworm. If you arenâ€™t familiar with it, well here you go:
But, honestly, itâ€™s a bit of a red herring.
This post should probably really be called Things That Make Me Go GRRR, ðŸ˜ , or ðŸ˜¤.
Or Things That Make Me Wish I’d Packed My Angry Eyes …
These last few weeks have been â€¦ well, theyâ€™ve sucked â€¦ I canâ€™t really point to any one major thing though. Itâ€™s just that, in general, Iâ€™ve felt used and undervalued professionally. Who knows, maybe itâ€™s just the lack of sunshine because Iâ€™m sure looking forward to summer.
Normally I try to teach a class during the summer but this time around Iâ€™m looking forward to the break.
Normally, I love teaching, but these last few weeks have been wrought with frustration.
And normally, I try to avoid negative stuff on the blog but to heck with it â€¦
So hereâ€™s a list of things lately that make me go ðŸ˜¤ or at the very least ðŸ¤¦â€â™€ï¸ â€¦
- People who walk behind you into the spot youâ€™re currently trying to parallel park in
- Students who start packing up, in a loud and
abnoxiousmanner, all their belongings long before the class is supposed to end
- When someone sees that a location is reserved in 30 minutes but starts a 2-hour test in that location anyway
- Students who ask a question like â€œAre we turning this in?â€ right after Iâ€™ve said, â€œYou will turn this in.â€ Bonus aggravation to the student who asks this same question a minute after the above exchange.
- Students who respond to an email asking a question answered in the email
- Students who donâ€™t read â€¦ the syllabus, an email from me, comments or feedback on grades, or basically anything, ever, at all
- People who use little â€œiâ€ in
anyacademic setting (or maybe anywhere ever TBH)
- Writing and research grants only for published or under contract authors
- When your phone rings and thereâ€™s a recorded voice on the other end so you canâ€™t even tell them to never call you again and/or that youâ€™re already on the DO NOT CALL list
I could probably write a whole post on each one of these. But that would just exacerbate the issue. Also, Iâ€™ll probably think of at least 5 more things right after I hit â€œPublish.â€ If thatâ€™s the case, maybe Iâ€™ll make this a regular thing â€“ if for no other reason that simply to vent.
What makes you go ðŸ˜¤ or ðŸ¤¦â€â™€ï¸?
Notes: All emojis are from emojipedia.org. The angry eyes GIF is from tenor. The “Things That Make You Go Hmmmm” video is from CCMusicFactoryVevo on YouTube.